Makalu is the fifth highest mountain in the world (8,481m), yet the trek to its base camp is a less-frequented route due to its relative inaccessibility. However, it’s not too hard to reach, as there are daily flights to Tumlingtar (which is a few hours’ drive from the trailhead) and basic lodges along the way.
The Makalu Base Camp trek is an ideal trek for nature-loving trekkers who want to experience a variety of landscapes and cultures, as well as uncommon views of some of the world’s tallest mountains, including Everest.
The trek starts in warm, terraced farmland inhabited by the Rai people, an ethnic group found predominantly in the hills of eastern Nepal. As the route ascends, you will pass through rhododendron forests (most impressive in the spring, when the flowers bloom amazing red, purple, pink and white) and cloud forests, through some of the last areas of pristine forest and alpine meadows in Nepal.
Deeper into the mountains, past the Barun River Valley, you will pass steep granite cliffs, glaciers, and spectacular waterfalls. At the higher elevations live the Sherpa people, an ethnically Tibetan group who predominantly reside near Everest.
From Makalu Base Camp there are spectacular views of the rarely seen Kangshung face of Everest, as well as Lhotse, Chamlang, and Kanchenjunga in the Far East. The Makalu Barun National Park is the eighth largest in Nepal, covering 2,330 sq. km.
ARRIVAL IN KATHMANDU and Transfer to Hotel.
Full Day Guided sightseeing inside the Kathmandu
KATHMANDU to TUMLINGTAR - Drive to Num
NUM – SEDUA (1460m 5/6 hrs hiking)
SEDUA (1460m) –TASHIGAOUN (2070m - 5 h)
TASIGAOUN (2070m) –KAUMA 3470m - 6h)
KAUMA (3470m) - MUMBAK (3570m - 5 h)
MUMBAK (3570m) –NEHA KHARKA - (3700m - 6h)
NEHA KHARKA - (3700 m) - SHERSON (4615 m - 7 h)
SHERSON (4615 m) - MAKALU BASE CAMP (5100 m - 4/5 h)
EXPLORE MAKALU BASE CAMP
MAKALU BASE CAMP TO NEHA KHARKA - (3700 m)
NEHA KHARKA - (3700 m) – MUMBUK (3570 m)
MUMBUK (3570 m) - KAUMA (3470 m)
KAUMA (3470 m) - TASHI GAON (2070 m)
TREK TO PAKUWA (1520 m)
PUKUWA (1520m) –BUMLING(1160m)
BUMLING –TUMLINGTAR- 860 m
TUMLINGTAR to KATHMANDU
Cost Includes & Excludes
- Local transfers for your international flight x 2 (arrival/ departure)
- Local transfers for your domestic flights x 4
- Makalu Barun National Park Entry Permit and TIMS card
- Tumlingtar to Chichila (starting point of the trek) by private jeep
- Num (ending point of the trek) to Chichila to Tumlingtar by private jeep
- Kathmandu /Tumlingtar/Kathmandu Flight
- Guide and porters
- 4 night accommodation in a Kathmandu hotel
- Trekking Full board i.e. breakfast, lunch & dinner
- Farewell dinner in Kathmandu
- Staff insurance and necessary ground transport for support staff
- International flight ticket and Nepal Entry Visa
- Personal travel insurance (Which should include coverage for trekking)
- Lunches and dinners in Kathmandu, except the farewell dinner
- Personal gear for trekking (Including any you may wish to hire in Kathmandu), any personal expenses (i.e. soft and alcoholic drinks, snacks etc.)